Saturday, February 18, 2012

Nevers, Nuggets, and Laments


Alright! That's it! Enough already! Here we go! 

I have officially become sickened, saddened, and even angered about my complete ignorance of this blog and how, if at all, it may have affected the small amount of you that actually pay attention to what I have to say. I have been listening to a ton of great music as of late and I really have been meaning to share a lot of it on here. Life and schedule always do seem to get in the way but, with regards to said statement, I hate making up excuses. 

I have had a blast over the last couple of months working in the music industry and it has been a fantastic source of new music both from the past and up-and-coming acts. I do want to write more but I just need the time. I will find more time but until then, let us restart here with a couple of amazing things that I really feel all of you should check out. One is quite old and the other is fairly recent.

Indoor Voices - Nevers
Yes, I have written about Jonathan Relph's tunes before but I have yet to mention the release of his full length Nevers.  Now, I was a huge fan of Junetile back in the day and I absolutely love hearing how Jonathan's song-writing has blossomed and become expressively more sophisticated and emotional. Nevers was recorded in a music room in a high-rise and you can almost hear the attempts to not disturb the neighbours in the vocal recordings (Hence "Indoor Voices") but the music comes across as super-charged, extremely full and in your face. I truly do love this album and I couldn't recommend it enough. 

In fact, if you take a look at my last.fm account, you can see just how much I have been listening to this gem over the last couple of months. I have to admit it is way up there on the list of best albums of 2012. And trust me, I know it's early but this will make the year end list… if I write one this year!




A friend introduced me to the wonders of The Nuggets Series several months ago. The collection is absolutely amazing and I can't stress enough just how important everything on these albums is. It has been on standard rotation on every musical device I have and I highly recommend it. Lots of fun and lots of good old rock-n-roll!





No comments:

Post a Comment