Friday, March 12, 2010

Anais Mitchell: Hadestown

Being a massive fan of both Ani DiFranco and Justin Vernon, I was very excited about the release of Anais Mitchell's "Folk Opera" Hadestown. Being a classical literature major in university also helped as I always get excited about the retelling of any Ancient Greek Myth. The fact that it is Orpheus is just an added perk.

Plain and simple, the album is incredible. Everything I thought it would be and so much more. I honestly have chills as I am writing this because it is blasting through my earphones for the third time today. The writing is incredible and the voices wrap around your soul and squeeze as only DiFranco and Vernon could do. Mitchell's songwriting is brilliantly showcased with sophistication and an impecable elegance. However, Mitchell, DiFranco, and Vernon are not the only stand-outs on the album. All the artists that appear show-off their talents. Greg Brown, Ben Knox Miller (The Low Anthem), and The Haden Triplets all prove themselves with impressive pieces.

It is so great to hear this genre expressed in this form. Storytelling at it's finest which provides this listener with an even greater reason to listen to an album in it's entirety. It truly feels like a journey and I, for one, am not looking back! (Sorry, had to be done!) This will be included in my listening library for years to come. Amazing!

Vancouver Show: (A Must See!!)
Tue, Mar. 30 2010 7:30 PM Doors open at 6:00 PM
Old Crow House Concerts
243 East 22nd St
North Vancouver, British Columbia

No comments:

Post a Comment